Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorextremeg
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2006

Well here is a link to the 0.1alpha version of a little system we've been playing around with for use in a couple of sites we have on the boil.

http://www1.extremegroup.be/blog/2006/02/19/announcing-plink/

It's called plink (plogger link - corny eh?) and it is exactly 1.5 days old... So please be gentle with it, we haven't had a lot of time to iron out bugs, and functionality is limited to displaying an album at the moment.

The reason for showing it now is to find out if it will be useful to anyone, and get a list of functionality that people would like to see.

It basically reads the XML feed for a plogger album and creates a thumbnail list with image viewing functionality. It is entirely written in javascript so can be used to integrate an album into an HTML page or blog post without the need to mess around with any php code.

Have a look and let me know what you think. Is it worth continuing to pursue this path of integration?

B
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2006 edited

I've wanted to try this for a while, but my javascript and DOM abilities don't yet extend into the skillset required for such. I'm glad to see somebody taking up the challenge. With Johan on a Flash front-end, I think this (AJAX) will be another huge avenue for Plogger development.

I presume this uses the XML generator and theme engine in Beta 3? If you need help with anything, please let me know, and I would be glad to help (derek@plogger.org). This is such a rad idea, and is really the motivation behind the XML engine. Glad to see it's being used!

Edit: Whoa. You're using the RSS generator. That's cool, but FYI, there's now a templating engine and full XML generator available in Beta 3. I would definitely suggest taking a look.

Cheers,
    Derek
    •  
      CommentAuthormike
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2006

Yeah, this looks real cool.

You guys would probably find it easier to use our XML generator that we developed for the next version, but for now I don't see a problem using the RSS feed. I think a really interesting possibility for this application would be to pull pictures from other people's Plogger galleries and display them on your own website. You could aggregate pictures from different friends, or create a page that displayed an aggregate of hundreds of different Plogger galleries (latest pictures), a la Flickr.

Looking forward to seeing this project develop. Let us know if you need anything to help you complete it.

Mike
    •  
      CommentAuthorextremeg

I'm grabbing beta3 now, so I'll have a look at the XML generator. It'll certainly save me having to play around with that side anymore (which I'm loath to do as the whole point is that it sits on top of plogger without really interfering in anything.. much...)

Pulling images from other galleries is certainly on my list and will be added soon.
    The flickr idea is interesting, I might have a look into that...

B
    •  
      CommentAuthorextremeg

Hi all
    We've added a couple more examples of the new plink javascript library on our site over here:

http://www1.extremegroup.be/blog/plink-ajax/

Click on the links on the right of the pages for the examples, the first one uses the RSS XML feed from plogger 2.1 beta to display a gallery list.

The next two use the new XML generator in plogger 3 beta. They can be set to display the thumbnails from ANY gallery system running plogger 3 beta, so you can display a friends gallery on your site if you want to.

Again, they are all completely javascript and ajax powered, no php to play with, no messing with the standard plogger installation, and so can be pasted directly into a HTML file or (as seen on the example sites) into a blog post or page.

Have a look and let me know what you think, anything you'd like to see, etc...
    •  
      CommentAuthormike

Looks great, I think there is definitely a need for this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorextremeg
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2006

We have released the plink.skyscraper javascript class to the world today.

It works with Plogger 3 beta and Flickr and allows to you display your most recent pictures (or a friends) on your website without any advanced integration.

It is now fully skinable (via CSS) so can be made to fit seamlessly into your website or blog.

Pop on over to http://www1.extremegroup.be/blog/plink-ajax/ to download it and check it out (instructions and samples are on the site). If you need any help integrating it with your site, let us know and we'll be more than happy to lend a hand.
    •  
      CommentAuthormike

I like this a lot, but maybe you should specify that Plogger v3 is not available yet? There may be some confusion resulting from this, at least specify that you are working with a version 3 prototype.

Also, we plan on changing some stuff in the XML engine (per your request) and your current build may be rendered useless by our changes. Just a heads up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorextremeg

I'll add that now (the not avail bit), we've deliberatly kept the xml reader as seperate as pos, so we are ready to jump on your changes, and can get them in the build as quickly as pos ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthormike

Ok, the only thing I'm worried about is incompatibilty between revisions. It would be quite cumbersome to do these incremental revisions and then say, "Sorry, version 0.3 of PLINK is only compatible with Plogger Beta 3 revision 314, if you have revision 312, you may need version 0.25 of PLINK... etc." You see what I'm getting at =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorextremeg
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2006 edited

Already on top of it (great (worried/stressed/etc..) minds think alike???).
    If attributes aren't available (such as requested ones, etc..) they are generated to best of scripts ability. So it "should" work as get x, oh that isn't in the feed, ok so I'll try and make it, etc... so new versions of plink will work with older versions of plogger.

On a side note:
    You wouldn't believe what a pain getting all the information you need is from the Flickr api (such simple things as the full filename of the fullsize image on the server).

You guys have done a fantastic job, give yourselves a pat on the back (and I'll definitely be buying you all a drink or 20 if I get an excuse to go on a "Field Trip").
    B