Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortmhai
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2005 edited

Hello,

I would just like to know why it takes so long to import images via the 'Import' method of the Admin CP? I tried to import over 600 images and they took at least 30 minutes.

Also, when the page displays for me to select which images I want to upload the images are broken. Has this been reported?

Lastly, I moved my Plogger installation into a diffrent folder and now when Im viewing my images via the Slideshow and I click on it, the url is incorrect and is instead pointing to a folder a level up. How do I change the directory to which the slideshow scrip uses?

Also, I've realised that Plogger makes thumbnails and stores them. I'm not sure this is of any use to me (the storing part of the process). As I have so many photos the thumbnails folder has reached the GB point (as have my Photos, but thats what the whole script is all about). Is there a method of stopping Plogger from storing thumbnails and rather having them created 'on-the-fly' and saved for later use?

Thanks for all your support.

Out of curiosity, is Plogger group from Australia? If so, can I make a donation via Cheque through the Mail? This program is superb, and as I am currently making my High School's website, I'm sure they would agree too.

- Bobby
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2005

Hi Bobby,

First, importing isn't particularly fast or efficient (considering thumbs aren't yet generated), but it will also depend on your server configuration, CPU, HD and RAM.

Secondly, I believe this bug ("upload the images are broken") is now fixed, but you can check dev.plogger.org.

Lastly, the slideshow URL was a coding bug, and not because you moved the folder. Search for "hotlink" in the forums to find the solution.

Plogger does not create (tmk) thumbnails for later use until the collection/album is browsed; so in actuality, it does create them "on-the-fly" initially. It's a matter of CPU consumption and wait times. Caching eliminates having to continually recreate the thumbnails; this saves lots of CPU and RAM, having to open each full-size image to create the thumbnail. But, it can use a lot of diskspace. My suggestion would be to make thumbnails smaller (reducing the filesize per thumb) or putting a limit on how big the directory can get before purging it. There are ways you could disable caching altogether, but it really isn't advisable, unless you own the server and don't mind the increased waiting.

HTH,
    Derek
    • CommentAuthorMilorad
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2005

I would add that the stored thumbnails are probably more useful than super-huge source images (for most people)... so if space is an issue save it there.

on a side-note... I'd ike to thank derek for investing in the support community here. As a stumbling user, contributions like yours and those of other active helpers here make plogger usable for the rest of us at this delicate stage of development.

Derek for member of the month!

Lets hope plogger attracts the popularity it deserves.
    •  
      CommentAuthormike

I agree, Derek has helped many here on the forums with his well-thought out posts.

In related news, Derek will be joining the development team this week as soon as we get him setup with a SVN account. I expect to see great things out of this guy :)
    •  
      CommentAuthormike

BTW tmhai, we are not from Australia, although I kind of wish I was.

I am from Minnesota, US and Anti is from Tallinn, Estonia. If you want to send a cheque donation and don't mind paying the extra postage (to Estonia or the US, whichever is cheaper), hit up me or Anti and we will provide our address via email.

We do have PayPal donations here (http://www.plogger.org/donate), you can pay with Credit Cards so it is quite convenient.
    • CommentAuthorMilorad
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2005 edited

great news about derek :)

I was going to say congratulations, but perhaps we should wait and see how many sleepless nights come of this?

Nice one guys :D
    • CommentAuthorddejong

Hahaha. Thanks a lot, guys. I started the (bad) habit of checking the forum when I check my email; that led to a lot of responses on a lot of topics.

Again, thanks for all the kind words, and I'm looking forward to those sleepless nights that make life more interesting.

Regards,
    Derek
    • CommentAuthortmhai
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2005

Thank you all for your support!