Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorcmedia
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009

I see in plogger only in admin panel the translation, in the site gallery etc, NO, AT ALL! :D

This is amazing, i mean usually a thing work or not work, in this case work 50% and exactly where i don't need at all, the admin panel :D

Plogger is nice script but sorry to say, is literally a jungle of bug and functionality implemented like hell (rss feed, template, translation, etc... etc...) with 0 support and 0 new version... i downloaded the last one and i have to stay 2 days to search in forum to solve bug, already know and solved but not solved in the last version online.

If i know this before i guess i don't install plogger :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorsidtheduck
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009 edited

Sorry you feel that way, cmedia.

We are working very hard on a new release and it should include the translation for the front-end gallery as well as the admin section. I, personally, have been out of town for a few days and have not had time to respond to everyone on the forums either. We really do try hard to answer people's questions and fix bugs that people come across, but it does take some time as well. Plus, this is a free script with only a few members of a development team (that have other full time jobs as well), so it takes time to develop the script AND do forum support all at the same time within our own personal time when we are not at our jobs. I'll let the rest of the development team speak for themselves and this is only my opinion as well (especially since I've only been a part of the dev team for about a year).

I will still try to follow up on your questions to the board as well as I can.
    • CommentAuthorcmedia
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and of course i know this is free script, so i'm not "mad" (i know is free, the developer work for free, is provide "as it is" etc... and of course anyway i thank you and all other programmer...) i simple describe what i see.

Anyway part of my issue i solved in my way, a way i can't install the future plogger version, then, because will mess up my "custom solutions".

Plogger have 0 seo support (have the nice url, ok but this alone don't help really in seo... and anyway to make the nice url work i had to modify manually the plogger code reading a post in the forum), i had to manage with external php files to add custom meta description to home page and albums page... the rss feed is really a hell... when i read the plogger feature i was happy because a feed rss integrated sounds very nice, then... i saw how is integrated and i wanted to cry... :D
    i mean is ok for those who add title and description to each photos, but for those like me who add galleries and add title and description only to gallery, is totally 0... if not a bad things because i don't think google will like feeds with "copies" and with all the same title/description... plus is present in every single page... depending of site type this can be good, or can be a course... the bad thing is the rss plogger feed can't be customized AT ALL...

i had to disable the rss feed from plogger and integrate another, to have in the feed title description and link to the new gallery and not to all images (and anyway i was not able to add in the feed the date, i hope google and feed importer will accept the feed anyway)...

i lost the count of little problem/bug i find out the solution after minuts or hours of search and readings in the forum...

Still i'm working to personalize for seo my plogger...

i hope to have all done for today...

Anyway to be clear in other things, like gallery upload plogger is around perfect :D simp,e and easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsidtheduck
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009 edited

Thanks for writing back, cmedia.

I'll try to address your questions:
    Posted By: cmediai had to manage with external php files to add custom meta description to home page and albums page

The next release has automatic meta descriptions and keywords based on the description and keywords (caption for images and name for albums and collections). However, these do not add any SEO rank jumping from what I've read if your meta descriptions and keywords are duplicated on the page elsewhere (if the meta description is the same as the album description on the album page). Also, from what I've read, Google ignores the meta keyword tag completely. The only other solution would be to add additional form inputs that would allow an admin to write custom descriptions for each collection, album, picture, and overall gallery. We're also working on tagging for a future release which could easily be replicated in the meta keywords tag. We're also working on better customization of title tags for better SEO. dime and bilel on the forums have been starting Trac tickets for these SEO enhancements to be added to the Plogger core. That being said, not everyone wants (or cares) about SEO compatibility, so we are trying to keep the script as versatile as possible for everyone's use (not just customize it for people who want mad SEO bumps). It may be that super SEO functionality will be added as a plugin once the plugin structure has been fully fleshed out in a future release (much like Wordpress does).

Posted By: cmediathe rss feed is really a hell... when i read the plogger feature i was happy because a feed rss integrated sounds very nice, then... i saw how is integrated and i wanted to cry... :D
    i mean is ok for those who add title and description to each photos, but for those like me who add galleries and add title and description only to gallery, is totally 0... if not a bad things because i don't think google will like feeds with "copies" and with all the same title/description... plus is present in every single page... depending of site type this can be good, or can be a course... the bad thing is the rss plogger feed can't be customized AT ALL...

i had to disable the rss feed from plogger and integrate another, to have in the feed title description and link to the new gallery and not to all images (and anyway i was not able to add in the feed the date, i hope google and feed importer will accept the feed anyway)...

The next release uses Yahoo's MediaRSS tags as well, so it can be integrated with media rss readers. I'm not sure what you are expecting from the RSS feed. If you would let us know your issues, perhaps we could be of help to you as well. So far, I have only heard that you don't like how it's handled, not how you want it to be handled. Do you want it to display a list of newly created collections or albums instead of the images themselves? I guess I'm curious as to what options you are looking for in an RSS feed.

Posted By: cmediai lost the count of little problem/bug i find out the solution after minuts or hours of search and readings in the forum...

Yes, there were quite a few little annoying bugs in the 1.0beta3 release (which was released even before I joined the dev team, but they added quite a bit of enhancements from beta2 to beta3 (so bugs are to be expected). We've squashed almost all of the bugs in the current SVN code that the dev team is working on and are hoping to get the next release out soon.

Posted By: cmediaAnyway to be clear in other things, like gallery upload plogger is around perfect :D simp,e and easy.

I'm glad you are liking some of the functionality of Plogger, but you do come off as strongly negative in your initial post on this forum thread. I wish to say that Plogger is uniquely difficult to work on as a project because some users want the functionality of a stand alone gallery, some want to integrate it into their existing website, some want to integrate it into their CMS website, some want completely private galleries to share with their family and friends, and others want to use it as a full-fledged, powerful SEO engine to generate traffic to their site. We do try our best to attempt to let everyone use Plogger as they see fit. Hopefully the next release will be easier to work with for you and we are hoping to get better documentation out there as well.

I wish you good luck on your customizations.
    • CommentAuthorcmedia
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009

I never wanted plogger to be "seo perfect" i wanted to be customizable easily and be able to do "seo" like i want...
    And i can't, because i can't manage and show in template, title and description of gallery and category as i need.

About feed, i use plogger to add gallery, each time i add a new gallery, so i need the feed to show the gallery, not the images... plogger show the images, also if images don't have title/description...

And this is a huge problem for user who need plogger to add new gallery at each update... and not new image with title and description to each update.

Yes i understand, i never say plogger is "bad" in general, i say for my needs, if i know before, i install something else...

For sure is nice script, with year of developing in back and good team of programmer.

And i thank you and the other developer for the work done.