Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnnie
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

Please could anyone advise me what I need to do to back up and restore my Plogger gallery in the case of a failure?

Do I need to back up the database with phpMyAdmin? I'm not sure how this is done as I created my database through a wizard in cPanel. When I eneter phpMyAdmin and choose the relevant database, there is an Export tab. When I click on this there are 8 tables all highlighted. The rest of the options are a mystery to me so I don't know if I have to change them or not. I presume I need to tick 'Save as file' and then put a name in the 'File name template' box. Do I need to choose any type of compression?

Being a novice when it comes to databases, am I right in thinking that the actual images are not contained within the database? Therefore should I back these up using ftp along with the rest of the Plogger files? Is it necessary to keep the thumbnails (medium and small) as well as the larger images or will they get recreated in the event of a restore?

Assuming I have this all correct, do I restore everything by reuploading the files onto the server and then importing the database through phpMyAdmin. If so, there are one or two options in phpMyAdmin that I'm uncertain of such as the character set defaults to 'utf8' and the SQL compatibility is currently set to 'None'. Would anything need to change here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsidtheduck
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009

Annie,

Yes, you will need a backup of your database along with a backup of at least the "images" directory. You are correct that the images are not stored in the database and that the thumbnails would be automatically re-generated once the images have been restored.

To back up the database, you do need to use phpMyAdmin (if you have it), even though you set up the original database and username through cPanel. The default options that show up for the "Export" should work just fine. To re-instate a backup, you should:
    1. Install / Upgrade your Plogger installation.
    2. Upload the "images" folder.
    3. Drop all information from the tables.
    4. Import the .sql that you previously exported

That should work just fine.
    • CommentAuthorAnnie
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

Thank you for your reply sidtheduck,

I followed all of it except 'drop all information from the tables'. Could you explain what that means please?
    • CommentAuthorAnnie
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009

In phpMyAdmin, I have the choice to 'empty' or 'drop tables'. Which one would I choose in order to reinstate Plogger?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsidtheduck
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009 edited

I depends if you included the table structure the export of your original sql dump or if you just did a data export.

"Empty" means to clear out the data, but keep the tables and their structure.
    "Drop" means to remove the all of the data PLUS the tables and their structure.

If your sql dump has information like "CREATE xxx", then you can do a "dump". If not, just do an "empty".
    • CommentAuthorAnnie
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009

At the moment the default settings in phpMyAdmin are as follows:

Structure
    Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION (Not ticked)
    Add IF NOT EXISTS (Ticked)
    Add AUTO_INCREMENT value (Ticked)
    Enclose table and field names with backquotes (Ticked)
    Add CREATE PROCEDURE / FUNCTION (Not ticked)
    Add into comments
    Creation/Update/Check dates (Not ticked)

Data
    Complete inserts (Ticked)
    Extended inserts (Ticked)
    Maximal length of created query 50000
    Use delayed inserts (Not ticked)
    Use ignore inserts (Not ticked)
    Use hexadecimal for BLOB (Ticked)
    Export type INSERT

Should I tick the following and then create another backup? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with database backends.

Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION
    and
    Add CREATE PROCEDURE / FUNCTION
    and
    Creation/Update/Check dates

Then presumably, if I want to restore everything I need to drop the tables first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsidtheduck
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009

Hi Annie,

Because of this option that you have ticked "Add IF NOT EXISTS (Ticked)" you can either drop or empty, whichever you prefer. This will check if the structure exists or not. If the database does not contain the structure, it will create it. If it does have the structure, it will only insert the data. You're good either way!
    • CommentAuthorAnnie
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

Thanks very much for your help.