Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorshirohagen
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2005

Hello.

Before I found Plogger, I designed and started building a website at www.holster.co.uk/index2.html using a frameset to get the exact layout I wanted for my Graphic Design portfolio. The idea was to arrange all of the sub navigation below the main blue bar which serves as the main menu. In this way, the user only moves the mouse short distances underneath the blue bar to move around the site, and the area above is kept minimal and clean for the display of work.

Now I want to put my photography online and originally I was going to do this manually, but now I'd like to use Plogger to maintain a photo gallery and let people comment etc etc. Plogger is obviously far better constructed than my site, but I would like to have it mainly operate in the lower frame showing the thumbnails etc, and then just displaying the larger photos in the upper frame. Can Plogger be customised to do this, or is it too fundamentally written to generate self contained pages? Should I consider a different solution?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

®
    • CommentAuthornsdesign

My advice - dont use frames.
    Seriously - Bad idea on a number of levels.....
    • CommentAuthorshirohagen

I know that frames aren't the best solution to most situations, but as I tried to explain, they are the best solution for me right now, and I'm afraid I HAVE used frames.

I was suggesting using the Plogger code slightly differently to show parts in one frame and target another to display the result - The question was how to do this WITH frames, not whether to use frames or not. I can use any solution for the photos, it's the framest construction of the site which is set.

®
    •  
      CommentAuthormike

This should be pretty easy actually, just add a "target" attribute to the link generation code in gallery.php.

Like on line ~402 in gallery.php

$output .= '<li class="thumbnail"><div class="tag"><a href="' . generate_url("picture",$row["id"]) . '">' . $imgtag . "</a><br />";

This is where the linked thumbnail is generated that goes from the picture thumbnail to the intermediate picture thumbnail, picture info, and comments page.

If you modify that link to be:

$output .= '<li class="thumbnail"><div class="tag"><a target="frame_name" href="' . generate_url("picture",$row["id"]) . '">' . $imgtag . "</a><br />";

Then the link will open up the referenced URL in the target frame named "frame_name".
    • CommentAuthordougw
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010

I have just upgraded from PHP4 to PHP5 and my site which did work in frames in PHP4 doesn't any more. Any thumbnail I click on only returns me to the main page. But when the site gallery is not viewed in frames it works correctly.
    I would be grateful for any help as I nned to fix it ASAP. The site is www.artspaces.co.uk
    • CommentAuthordougw
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010

I have had to revert to PHP4 so that the site will work correctly.