Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorsorcerer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010

I am new to this image hosting thing. Would like to ask a very basic question about image hosting.

Suppose I go into a web page, like this one
    http://www.plogger.org/demo/?level=picture&id=88
    and I click on an image like
    http://www.plogger.org/demo/images/hobbies/skydiving/img_1785.JPG

An image shows up on the screen. Is the image downloaded to my computer already that is why I can see it on the screen (and I just right click on the image to save it) or the image is still sitting on the host site and I am actually viewing the image physically located in the remote host site on my computer. If it is the latter, does right click on the image to save the image to my computer constitute a FTP operation?

Would someone be kind enough to tell me how this viewing operation works or even better, give me some key words or hints so that I can google on the web? I can handle any math or technical details throw at me.

I apologize for asking such a basis question.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sorcerer
    Hi Sorcerer,
    when ever you open a webpage all the elements in the page(images/videos/cookies etc ) gets stored in your browsers cache folder. when you right click and save the image, you just replicate the file that is already stored in your computer(cache/temp folder).There is no ftp operation involved here.
    • CommentAuthorsorcerer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010

Hello supertelugu,
    Thanks. I think I got what you are saying. But on the safe side, I would like to confirm my understanding. Referencing to the above page, I can see the image img_1785.jpg on the web. Whether I right click or not, the image has already been transferred to a temporary folder or cache in my computer. So right click to save the file just means copying this image from the cache/folder to a new destination. Am I correct? So a large image, a 10~30 MB image will take a long time to load, because the image has to transfer over the internet to my computer.
    If that is the case, would you be kind enough to brief me the method these images are transport over the internet. please? Or link to some tutorials? I do know the concept of progressive jpg but have no knowledge how it is implemented in image delivery over the internet. A pointer to such implementation tutorials would be greatly appreciated.
    Is there a way to host image content where user can view the images on the remote host site without actually downloading the images? Because the images are huge and there are lots of them. The image content are mostly bi-level (i.e. monochrome).
    Regards,
    Sorcerer
    HI sorcerer ,

you understood it correctly.

check this link for details abt progressive jpeg.

what ever may be your image size, it must be fully transfered, its not possible to serve at the source itself.

if am wrong anyone correct me
    • CommentAuthorsorcerer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

Hello supertelugu,
    Thanks for the link.
    You mentioned image source cannot be hosted/served at the source and thus has to be download to the end-user side before the end-user can view it.
    I came across this link, http://www.divinev.com/radscaper/demo.html, it seems from their intro, they can allow the user to remotely access the images stored in server systems using their product. Does it mean, the image data still has to be downloaded from the server to the end user before the image can be viewed by the end user?

Thanks in advance.
    Sorcerer