Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorboblennon
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010

As a newbie to this forum and software I need some help on how to configure Plogger to service multiple album collections from separate website directories in a single database.

Can anyone provide some insights to how this should be approached?

Thanks in advance....Bob Lennon
    • CommentAuthorchewbears
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010

Bob,

I too am working on this issue. What I have is multiple databases that are setup in the US and we want a single point of access into these databases form a "Master" plogger application. Plogger isn't really set up to do this, and a work around to this issue is to just get a plogger application that can trick a user into thinking its on a master application.

We are doing this by basically having searches that force you into forced url text searches, so for example our advanced search button just opens X blank windows (each window = a plogger application that is remote) and passes the text to the url. A weak version of Kayak;s airline search. So baiscally a user can search across the applications from a master site for now. While they have to view the search results on separate non linking pages it is at least getting them involved in all the photos we have to offer. So its a quick and dirty way to get the ball rolling. Also our plogger home page is not a plogger home page its just php js and html that displays the different centers offerings. Then from there each installation can do that "advanced" search. Still i would like to tie in the master into all the other sites so its all on one seemless site. We are a ways off from that, and a lot of Dev support here has fallen off recently.
    • CommentAuthorboblennon
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010

Thanks for your insights on this issue, chewbears.

I'm currently embedding Plogger into a private website based on a genealogical network (not a tree structure) of individual family nodes.

In this organization, each family node occupies a unique directory (named after the head of household concatenated with a MySQL AUTOINCREMENT key). The Plogger software is installed in sub directories of each of these family nodes. And while this organization adds another level of security to the problem of who can update what, it is also very storage redundant. The good news though, is that it only takes about 20 lines of code to provide each user access to their photo administration.

The configurations of both the website operations and the Plogger galleries are maintained in a single MySQL database maintained on a separate (not localhost) database server. To make this work seamlessly with the website security protocol, it was necessary to create and populate the Plogger code during the initial registration and authentication of a new family. During this process, we will eliminate the current Plogger installation page, and will generate the plog-config.php information from the website registration data. That will allow each family to make a PLOGGER_TABLE_PREFIX consistent with their directory node name. That, in turn, will also eliminate any annoying double logons for the website and Plogger.

The bottom line seems to be that in many website integrations, it takes a lot more than the three includes mentioned in the docs to drop Plogger into a multi-collection set of Galleries in a single database.

Understanding this, your insights are truly appreciated. Please do not take offense, but our two website applications are quite different, and my underlying genealogical network structure was implemented in order to avoid searches, allow each family to maintain and organize their photo remembrances, and at the same time let all families traverse the nodes of all their generations.

Thanks again...Bob Lennon