Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLukebroad
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010

Hi Guys,

Could really do with some help!

I'm trying to upload some new photographs to plogger via transferring all my images to the upload directory via ftp.

When going into the admin section of my plogger gallery, clicking on import and upload - My problems are as follows

1) My thumbnails don't create, I just get a white square box
    2) If I click upload, I get an error message saying "unable to create directory"

I have checked the read/write permissions and they are on 755, which I persume is correct?

Can someone advise please?

Thanks in advice
    • CommentAuthorchewbears
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010

permissions issue.

Its not making te thumbs because you don't have the writes to write to that directory, and you don't have rights to make the directory. Change to 777 and try again.
    • CommentAuthorboblennon
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010

@chewbears

Don't you think that giving read, write, and execute permissions to everyone including the owner, group, and world at the directory level is a serious security disadvantage?
    • CommentAuthorLukebroad
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010

So to clarify, what directory do i need to change the permissions to 777
    • CommentAuthorboblennon
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010

I can't think of any situation in working with Plogger that you would use the 777 permission level effectively at either the directory or file level.

That lack of security makes it easy for anyone that has access to your upload directory through Plogger to upload and execute a program that could bring the server down.

Plogger configuration suggests that a 755 is appropriate at the Directory, and a 644 at the file level.
    • CommentAuthorchewbears
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010

For testing purposes I run all of my stuff locally 777 and then bring the permissions to the appropriate level when publishing a site.

Without changing any of your permissions do the following, b/c it seems your doing this on a live site.

In the root directory see if any thumbs are being created. See if you can drag and drop something into the thumbs directory. Check the permissions of the thumbs folder. Additionally see if your full size images are loading as well. Next check your php.ini file and make sure you have an acceptable limits in terms of memory, process times etc

eg

max_input_time = [LARGER NUMBER]
    memory_limit = [LARGER NUMBER]
    • CommentAuthorLukebroad
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010

Hello,

I tried all the above and it still isn't working?

problem

The above image is what error i'm getting. Really causing me issues now - Can someone offer advice or recommend an alternative gallery management site?
    • CommentAuthorboblennon

Is it possible that you're sending the ftp images into the wrong directory?

The correct path from the Plogger root should be plog-content/uploads (e.g. Plogger/plog-content/uploads).

The Plogger root also has a plog-admin subdirectory with a plog-content subdirectory and an images subdirectory (e.g. Plogger/plog-admin/plog-content/images).

Since you're in the plog-admin directory when you do the import, that might be confusing.
    • CommentAuthorLukebroad

I'm uploading in the correct directory, but it isn't creating my thumbnails. Please help :(
    • CommentAuthorboblennon

Have you made any code changes to the plogger _install script or the configuration initialization routines? If not, you might consider a clean re-install in a test directory using
    ploggers index.php to start it up. You should then be able to ftp a couple of photos to the test uploads directory (e.g. Plogger/plog-content/uploads) and verify the operations and the thumbnail creations and display through the administrative scripts.
    • CommentAuthorchewbears

You didn't answer me. Whats in your thumbs directory?
    • CommentAuthorLukebroad
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010

Right, i'v managed to make it create the thumbnails, but it now won't create new directories.

Does anyone know of a way to reset all permissions to what they are supposed to be, as i think they are really screwed up?

Ideally, id like a fresh install - Is there anyway to do this but keep my images as there are quiet a few.
    • CommentAuthorboblennon
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010

Sounds like a good idea to re-install. Your current images are in the sub directories of plogger /plog-content/images/. You can ftp them to a safe area either locally or on the server, do the fresh install and then ftp them to the new plogger/plog-content/uploads for importation after you are comfortable with the new installation.
    • CommentAuthorLukebroad
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010

Re-installed and problem now fixed. Going to make regular backups from now on I think.

Thanks for everyones help :)