Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormichaelt
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010

We've got a gallery where all but one collection have a single album, with the following setup:

Collection 1
    - Album 1
    - Album 2
    - Album 3
    Collection 2
    - Album 4
    Collection 3
    - Album 5

Right now when you click on Collection 2, you see a single image for Album 4 which you then need to click to get to the images in the album. Is there any way to set things up so that if a collection has a single album, clicking on the collection jumps you right into the images for the album so that you don't have to click the single album image first?

Seeing the albums in a collection makes sense when there's more than one album, but when a collection only has one album it feels like an unnecessary click for the user to get to the photos.

Any help would be great! Template pointers, "look at line XX in the source of somefile.php" -- anything! I'm more than comfortable coding, so if that's my only solution I'm fine there too but am not very familiar yet with the Plogger codebase.

Thanks,
    Michael
    • CommentAuthorboblennon

Seems to me that you are looking at a lot of coding work just to avoid a single click. Especially when it seems there are good design considerations underlying the way that plogger handles this situation.

I think from ploggers view, it has to work from the top down (i.e. gallery,collection,album, and finally photos) to optimize code size and efficiency. Doing it that way avoids scanning everything in the gallery when it is only partially populated or perhaps entirely empty (like just after installation).

Making you select an album before showing the pictures is an essential part of that design regardless of the fact that plogger knows how many albums and photos are in a given collection at the time the gallery population is displayed.

However, making this change may also provide an annoyance to some that share the site because, like in your case, when there are multiple collections with single albums, it seems that good design would not deny the user the ability to choose an album to display.

Having plogger choose the display from the first collection with one album will then require the viewer exit from that display if it were not one that he/she was interested in.

Are sure you want to do it this way?
    • CommentAuthormichaelt

I'm sure, and Plogger already does this in some situations. Say you have a single collection with several albums. Plogger will show only the albums and skip the containing collection. I would just like to have this extend into albums.

When you say it'll be a lot of coding work, does that mean you've worked on something like this already or are familiar enough with the codebase to help a bit? If so that'd be wonderful because I really don't want to dig through every line of the source to find what I'm after or where I need to adjust things so accommodate this.

I can't imagine it'd be that hard, really. Find the logic that spits out albums in collection view and -- if there is only one album -- show the images within the album and skip the intermediary click. When another album is added to the collection, the logic fails (albums > 1) and things display as normal.
    • CommentAuthorboblennon

Hmmm. Since it looks so simple to you go for it!
    I've got a lot of software development experience, and I'll try to help you with the project if you get into trouble.