Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorfloriske.nl
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2010 edited

I've found a few topics about this subject, but no real answer to it, so here's my attempt to get some more info about this:

Is it possible, or is there someone who allready added this, to resize the original image on upload to a specific maximum size?

I want to use plogger for a gallery (http://www.floriske.nl/index.php?page=photography) and want to show the viewers a large image (by embedding FancyBox) but I don't want this to be the original image.

Simple solution would be to resize the image prior to uploading, but this isn't always possible (e.g. on holiday etc.)

So it would be handy if Plogger could be set to resize it on upload to a preset maximum width or height.

Thx in advance!
    subtle kick: Anyone who has an easy solution for this?
    yet another subtle kick:

This is really preventing me from using my new site design. I thought this would be something that someone would have done before, but as it seams it's a more difficult subject than I suspected it to be?
    • CommentAuthorchewbears
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010

So you want to make a picture larger, but also maintain its original size?

So you have a 400x400 you want it 800x800? and still have an original 400x400 view?

Or do you just want to have your image 800x800 only and then generate intermediates and thumbs off of that?

If you want to do the first thing, its going to be hard, because you will have to write an "oversize" function that upon upload enlarges the image and stores it in an oversized folder, and then the function call the oversize view on the pages you like. Not hard, but if you do not know php it could take you some time. Also you can search for php resize snippets and use those, internal or external to plogger.

If you want the second option, batch resize offline.
    • CommentAuthorfloriske.nl
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010 edited

I want the second, but don't always want to resize offline:

I want to be able to e.g. upload a photo with my phone from a holliday location without having to worry about resizing the orignal first and thus have the gallery resize the original.

in short:

If an uploaded picture is bigger than a set size (e.g. fit within 1280px height or width) resize it to a set height or width.
    If an uploaded picture is smaller just upload it as usual

This way I can upload single pictures without having to resize them and ofcourse in case of bulk upload I'll batch resize first.

Is this such a weird/difficult thing to do?
    • CommentAuthorchewbears
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010

So someone goes to your gallery. You have a thumb (assume you uploaded a picture) of your uploaded picture, click it, then you have a intmediate picture of that same image, click it, then you have a large image. You want this large image to be X if X is less then 1280, otherwise resize X to be a number less then 1280?

Correct?
    correct, so the uploaded picture is never bigger than 1280px
    Guess my idea isn't as simple as I thought it would be for people with more php knowledge than me, since it seems noöne has applied this before.
    • CommentAuthorchewbears
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010

Now that I see your site I know why you want this feature. Would have been helpful to see this before ; P

Its not that its "hard" to do via php, its implementing it into the plogger code. I can easily write you an on upload function, but I do not know exactly how to make it work ideally with plogger.
    I know there are loads of upload scripts available, but the trouble is: How to integrate it into Plogger correctly :?