Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjoemolloy
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011

Hi Guys,
    I am running VERSION: 1.0-RC1 . My host server details are:Server Software: Apache/
    PHP Version: 5.2.8 (CGI-FCGI)
    MySQL Version: 5.0.67
    GD Version: bundled (2.0.34 compatible) with JPEG support
    Session Save Path: /tmp
    File Upload Size Limit: 12MB
    Temporary Memory Limit: 64M
    Code Run Time Limit: 300s

I have started getting over 90 spam comments a day so I have turned off Allow Comments.

I have been trying to activate Captcha. Althought the plog-comment.php has the following code:
    // If

the captcha is required, check it here
    if (isset($_SESSION['require_captcha']) && $_SESSION['require_captcha'] === true) {

if (!isset($_POST['captcha']) || !isset($_SESSION['captcha']) || $_POST['captcha'] != $_SESSION['captcha']) {

$errors[] = plog_tr('CAPTCHA check failed.');
    $error_field[] = 'captcha';

}
    }

if (empty($errors)) {
    $rv = add_comment($parent_id, $author, $email, $url,

$comment);
    // We're done with this so empty it out to stop double posts
    unset($_POST);

if (isset($rv['errors'])) {
    $errors = $rv['errors'];
    } else if

($config['comments_moderate']) {
    $_SESSION['comment_moderated'] = 1;
    }

}
    unset($_SESSION['plogger-token']);
    } else {
    // Missing form token
    $errors =

array(plog_tr('Spam token missing or does not match!'));
    }
    } else {
    // Comments are not on
    $errors =

array(plog_tr('Comments are disabled. You are unable to add a comment!'));
    }

if (!empty($errors)) {
    // Set the errors for form

display
    $_SESSION['comment_post_error'] = $errors;
    // Set the session form variables so users don't have to re-enter

their information
    $_SESSION['plogger-form'] = array(

which suggest to me captcha can be activated, and there are captcha files in the folder 'plog-includes'.

It is not doing anything. I have registered and tried to add Google ReCaptcha code but this does not seem to work.

I've tried the forum discussions but the code offered a couple of years ago does not work for me either.

My gallery is at http://www.narpo-staffs.co.uk/photo_gallery/

Incidentally, I am a novice in the programming world.

Can you give me some simple guidance?

Joe Molloy.
    • CommentAuthorTidosho
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011

This is a rather annoying problem Joe. The default theme doesn't seem to work with Captcha, and even the ones that do don't display CAPTCHA images properly, or say the code is incorrect when it isn't. Many people are having issues with it, and hacks are working for some and not others, depending on their setup and PHP version. It is PHP that generates JPEG images from strings, and something is going wrong.

I myself have even tried to code in PHPBBForum Captcha code, still it doesn't work, so I just turn off comments. I'm not a PHP expert but I get by, and can't figure this out for the life of me! Tried all hacks and recoding to no effect.
    • CommentAuthorfloriske.nl
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011 edited

The captcha works like a charm on my site, weird that it seems to work for one, but not another :S

Did you try the code to check if the data actually comes from a post request which I mentioned in reply to one of your earlier posts?

http://www.plogger.org/forum/discussion/3446/aditional-comment-spam-protections-next-to-captcha/#Item_1

I still got spam once a while after adding the captcha, the above completely got rid of it
    • CommentAuthorjoemolloy
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011

Tidosho and floriske,
    thank you for your responses. I have been away for a short time and will try your solutions in the next few days.
    joemolloy.
    • CommentAuthorjoemolloy
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011

Sorry Guys,
    I tried the code but still no luck. I'm leaving comments off for a while. I'm going to retry the recapcha code.