Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjoemolloy
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2021 edited

I've hung on to Plogger despite persuasion from a development consultant, and got by until a combination of storms.
    My photo galleries have been accessed from a WordPress page for three years now, into my PHP, MySQL database.
    I got a critical site error on 26 June 2021 when the StopBadBots plug-in auto-updated.
    Several remedial actions were taken, including turn off StopBadBots, update PHP, and more.
    Working with the site design consultant, I now have back the thumbnails that should then open my albums.
    But all are replying with error http 500

I'm going to get the hosting service to take another look at this and this post is purely to get any comments from other Ploggers on any recent upgrade misery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxiphias
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2022

Probebly a newer PHP version and the original Plogger wil not run on that. I'm working on a PHP7/PHP8 fork based on plogger-pdo.

https://github.com/xiphiasphotography/plogger_php7

You might want to give this a try. Still a work in progress, basically only did this so I can continue to run my 3 plogger galleries in Joomla. I still havn't found an alternative for plogger, all other galleries or CMS add-ons are crap.
    Crap? Yes, crap. They might work with 50 images here and there, but I have 10.000's of images in plogger, and everything is automated.
    • CommentAuthorjoemolloy
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2022

So glad to hear from you. I thought the project was dead.
    I have to agree about the other miserable offerings. I have tried a couple, but they do not pass muster.

I still rate myself a novice, but will take a look at the link and let you know.

Thanks for getting back to me. Glad you are alive!!

Joe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxiphias
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2022

Hi Joe,

Original plogger had been dead for a while indeed. Like I said, no good alternative. I've altered my of plogger to read title and description from the metadata of the images so all I do is upload a folder structure and import and forget. Works great for my events.
    To bad all other galleries I tried require you to manually add this data, or move files to albums one by one. Can't use FTP but need to zip each album. Etc etc, they all suck ;-)

Plogger is still the bomb!!!
    Thankful People: joemolloy
    • CommentAuthorjoemolloy
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2022

My webhost used your Github link to import the updated version. I'll let you know how I get on, but it will be several days before I get time to move it on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxiphias
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2022

Nice, thats actually how I use my largest Plogger website. I update the theme every year and recently added it to GitHub to make development from different locations easy and also as a backup.
    Thankful People: joemolloy
    • CommentAuthorjoemolloy
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2022

I retained my original Plogger database, to keep all the files stored (over 1500 images), added a new database using xiphias PHP7 from GitHub and later added a further database using the xiphias PHP8 edition from GitHub.
    So after all this time, I am still in the PHP7 version, trialled a few images but although the structure and theme of Plogger is there, the images do not diplay. xiphias found the same issue in his development but has fixed it with a symlink.
    I've looked at the result and it looks great in xiphias site, just as I want mine to look.
    I've not yet figured out how to, or why a symlink will help. I uploaded the test images to the PHP7 database.
    I've also uploaded a few images to the PHP8 database, but not yet pointed my main webite to it. I have been hoping to solve the images/thumbnail fault in PHP7 first.
    I'm looking for a PHP developer to help with the troubleshooting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxiphias
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2023

Hi Joe,

Any luck with your install?

Actually having issues with my largest Plogger install at the moment. I can't add albums, so working on that. I had changed the PHP version to 8 on this album but then phpThumb had issues so running 7.4 for now. Will have to look into that.

Regards
    • CommentAuthorjoemolloy
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2023

Hi again.
    No progress.

I've been tinkering around the edges, with no success.

Hoping actually that someone raised the issue about thumbnails elsewhere or in another programme.

I'm getting urged to find a solution as I have not published our collection of images for over a year.

I've registered with Upwork but the PHP experts seem to be looking for bigger contracts.

I have been thinking of giving up on the PHP7, trying the PHP8, but maybe, from what you say, that is unlikely to succeed.

Keep me posted if you find an answer.

Joe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxiphias
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2023

As PHP7 is EOL I'm moving to PHP8, so my PHP7 plogger Git is on a standstill. Any errors when debugging is on and error reporting?

I think I also had an issue with thumbnails, I think in my case it was folder access right icw php8, so went back to php7 and checked folder permissions and I'm back running.

Over 11.000 images in 200+ albums in 17 collections.

Still no better alternative out there. Just upload a whole folder structure, import and done. All metadata like title and description are read from the files, haven't found a gallery that does that right.
    • CommentAuthorjoemolloy
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2023

Thanks for the update. I'm in the middle of a new home renovation, so website gallery development on pause for about 6 week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxiphias
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2024

Any luck getting Plogger running. I'm still up, set php8 back to php7 on my largest plogger gallery. Need to find out what the issues are but site needs to be live and kicking the next 2 months so no development on it.