Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCroila
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2006

In the sidebar of this forum there's a nifty "Who's online" feature.

I would really like to have something similar for a corporate Plogger/Wordpress site I run for my work - could anyone kindly point me in the right direction of how to do this, please? That would be great!

Many thanks and kind regards,
    Croila
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2006 edited

The problem is that you have to have a users system in order to do it well, and Plogger doesn't have one yet.

As for how it's done, it's most easily done by tracking the active sessions on the server and the usernames of those sessions who have users logged in. I don't know how to fetch data from other sessions[1], or how to determine when they time out (people close their browser, leave the site, lose connection, crash, etc). But that's the general idea.

Edit: [1] I know how to get it into a MySQL table or file, but don't know when to have MySQL remove the entry when the session times out. Anti or Mike undoubtedly know more.

Cheers,
    Derek
    •  
      CommentAuthorCroila
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2006

Derek, thank you very much for your reply, it's much appreciated. However, I took the chance of posting my query on the Wordpress forums and got a reply - apparently the solution is here: http://dev.wp-plugins.org/wiki/wp-useronline

However, this is obviously Wordpress specific rather than Plogger-specific, so apologies if I'm kind of off-topic here!

Regards
    Croila