Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorlinder1
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2006

Hi all

First post here. I'm digging through the code here and trying out some of the features tonight. Wondering if anyone can give me a jumpstart on a couple modifications I'd like to make to the code.

First, on the 'collection' page, I'd like to display a single album thumbnail per line. Anybody have a quick and easy way to do that?

As a complementary modification, I'd then like to be able to add a description to the right beyond just the number of photos. Now, maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't see the album descriptions I've written in the admin screen at all. So, maybe I can start with that?

So, if I can do those couple things I'll be a long way toward where I want to go. Any help is *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks,

Erich
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2006

I would add a CSS "hook" on the collection page. Then use the gallery.css to add: #collections ul.slides li {display:block;}
    While removing "float:left"; that would be the basic effect, the rest would go from there.

On the other hand, getting the album descriptions to show is a matter of echoing it when you iterate through the collections where you want it, then styling that with CSS as well.

You might also consider Beta 3, if you're comfortable with PHP and the occasional bug. You can download it via SVN at svn.plogger.org/trunk. It's got a theme system that will aid in customization without having to wade through a lot of the functional components.

If you want more involved help, you're welcomed to email me off-list as well.

Cheers,
    Derek
    • CommentAuthorlinder1

Hi Derek

Thanks for all of that, much appreciated.

Now, I just have one question before I undertake your instructions, which I think I understand -- what is a CSS "hook"? I've done a fair amount of stylesheet work but I haven't heard that term thrown around before. Is it some kind of specific call to the stylesheet from within the html/php code?

Let's keep the conversation here for the time being for posterity's sake ;-)

-Erich
    • CommentAuthorlinder1

Oh, and the svn.plogger.org/trunk link didn't work for me for some reason.
    • CommentAuthorddejong

Yeah, I understand -- that's my typical phrase for "if you need somebody to log in and look at code, email me."

As for a "CSS Hook", it's most commonly used when discussing rounded corners in CSS. A hook is just something to grab onto, including extra classes, ids and elements as necessary. Because (until CSS 2.1) you couldn't round corners on a single element; you still can't with Internet Explorer, but that's another story.

As for SVN, if that's not the address, Mike will have to correct me. Also note that you'll need an SVN client to connect to it.

Cheers,
    Derek