Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

We have plogger installed on our clubbing community website. The only problem the feedback/comments with anyone being able to write a comment using any name and without logging in.

Does anyone know a way of creating a login (maybe using the member login details of our invision board) or intergrating with the invision board so they have to login to the board to post comments or even view the gallery?

Any thoughts or recommendations?
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2006 edited

You could instead write a tripcode script. That would solve the problem and save you a lot of trouble.

When a user posts, they append "#password" onto the post name, the PHP pulls off the "password" and hashes it. It then gets displayed with the post.

That way, people can have protected 'identities' without having to create an extensive login system.

edit:
    Some basic info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripcode
    Cheers, looks a bit over my head but i'll look in to it.
    • CommentAuthorsire
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2006

If they're logged into the forum already, you might use their forum cookie as a test to allow them to post a comment or not.
    • CommentAuthorsire
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2006

<?
    if( $_COOKIE['member_id'] ) {
    // they are logged in, let them leave a comment.
    }

?>
    • CommentAuthorgocre8
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2006

thanks for the advice people, i like the cookie idea but i have no idea about php really. sire, ref. the code above...

is the thinking that i could just pop a bit of code in the top of the gallery index page to check if the cookie is present, and if it is, load the page, and if it isn't, redirect to another?

how would i go about this? i don't know enough about php syntax to pop these probably simple if and thens together! all help appreciated! :)
    • CommentAuthorsire

gocre8, this isn't verified but try it and let us know. All this will do is turn off comments if the member isn't logged in.

find this in your index.php file
    <?php require("gallery.php"); ?>

and make it look like this instead

<?php
    require("gallery.php");

if( ! $_COOKIE['member_id'] ) {
    $config["allow_comments"] = 0;
    }

?>
    • CommentAuthorhcgtv

I would like to do something similar with the PunBB forum.

Whoever is a member on the forum would be allowed to comment on the Gallery. Will need to see if I could use the example Sire has put up.
    • CommentAuthorddejong

Keep in mind cookies can be edited or rejected; and you are back where you started.

Try this... log into your BB, then go to a page on your server. Run this PHP:
    echo "
    ";print_r($_SESSION);echo "
    ";

This will dump out everything in the $_SESSION superglobal, which is very likely how your BB is storing its authentication, including username, login_status, etc.

Cheers,
    Derek
    • CommentAuthorsire
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2006

if the cookie is rejected, the member would just be unable to leave a comment.

my invisionboard doesn't give me anything in $_SESSION.

I have tested the code I left, and it worked for my installation.
    • CommentAuthorgocre8
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2006

sire you goddam genius it works great, thanks for that!

it's not a completely secure arrangement but it may help discourage non-forum members leaving offensive comments on the gallery which is the problem we're having.

:) :) :)