Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorarawan
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2006

Is it possible to fill in the URL of the picture by the section 'Upload photos'. I would like to host my pictures on another site than the 'plogger script site'.

Nathalie
    •  
      CommentAuthormike
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2006

That is not currently supported, however you may be able to come up with a clever mod if you have some PHP skills =D
    • CommentAuthorarawan
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2006

I have not really a good acknowledge of PHP. I know the basics but I'm not able to create a MOD.
    • CommentAuthorarawan
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2006

Can anyone help me with a mod ?
    • CommentAuthorsire
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2006

I don't have the time currently to work on such a mod, but as a feature request it's a nice one. Did you mean enter a URL and have it create a local thumbnail that links to the larger file on a remote host?
    • CommentAuthorarawan
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2006

Yes, that's exactly what i mean !
    • CommentAuthorddejong

I just realized the possibility for abuse of this system; any suggestions for how this could be avoided?

Cheers,
    Derek
    •  
      CommentAuthormike

Well, I assume you mean remote parties replacing images on your database with different, possibly malicious images.

I think the only thing you can do to prevent this is to take an md5 hash of the picture file when it is first added to the database. The md5 would server as a unique fingerprint, which would have to be compared to the current images fingerprint to see if the image had been tampered with since it was added to the gallery.

Obviously there is some overhead involved with this method, but I can't think of any other way to do it.
    • CommentAuthorddejong

I more meant users abusing it by hosting galleries from 3rd parties without their permission. I didn't even think of them changing the image on you -- that's just hilarious.

Cheers,
    Derek
    • CommentAuthorarawan
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2006 edited

I tried to change the 'plog-import.php' file

I changed : $upload_directory = 'http://users.skynet.be/demeujo/uploads' and the other '$config["basedir"]' but it doesn't workt. I says that I have to change the CMOD to 777. I've done that but it doesn't work.

Is there any way to change correctly the adress of the 'uploads' path ? This would also be a solution to my problem.

Also move the uploaded files to another server would be nice ( in 'plog-upload.php' script). But I didn't figured it out yet how to do it.

I think I better look out for another web photo gallery with this feature, because it's about a month i searching for a solution but I don't find anything and the visitors of my website are still waiting on a photo gallery. Plogger is the perfect web gallery script and don't think I will find a similar good gallery but it seems there is no way out.
    • CommentAuthorarawan
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2006

I found this code but I don't know where to put it

<?
    Function GetExternal($uri) {
    $html = implode('', file($uri));
    return $html;
    }
    ?>
    • CommentAuthorddejong

Arawan, this is a possible feature, but until I'm convinced it won't be abused, I won't be the one to add it. As for the function you found, it returns an array of remote files as an imploded string and won't be of much help to you, as far as I can see. I would suggest instead using fsockopen(), but it might now just be stylistic preference -- I think newer PHP can just file-wrap external files too. What you need to do is this: add a database value called $config['remote_file_url'] and look at where Plogger calls phpthumb, and hand it instead the remote file -- you may have to do this in phpthumb itself, I don't know. Then you would make sure that the "large picture" link also went to the correct location.

If you can direct me to a gallery script that does offer this feature I will take a look at the proferred reasons on their site and see if I can't emulate the feature, but I'm not convinced this will make Plogger better. In fact, I fear that Plogger might get the reputation as a file leecher's gallery script, and that is something I suspect nobody -- including me -- really wants.

Derek
    • CommentAuthorsire

ddejong, consider the html img src tags themselves, or the use of img bb code. there's potential for some abuse in almost anything. Feature-wise however, I think it'd be nice to run plogger on my faster more expensive server but store most of the images on my much cheaper dreamhost account with more bandwidth and storage space. You might say I should just run plogger on the dreamhost account then, but there are limited cpu cycles you can use, and a slower server. I don't know of any other gallery scripts that will do this of course, but I remember Gallery has a nice feature to recognize and import images from a remote site.
    • CommentAuthort9999clint
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2006 edited

I'm sorry If I'm raising a dead post, but I would also find this feature usefull, but what about ftp?
    you could configure ftp to scan the file tree for new photos much as you would localy, it would gather the thumnails on the faster computer but you can still use the high bandwidth computer's ftp links for the images.
    This would prevent abuse because the host site would have to allow anonymous ftp file listings for the directories and allow an anonymous ftp dload. Not many sites would have this and it's also easy to block if it is abused.