Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I just stumbled across Plogger and I see it as the most promising of the galleries I have seen so far.

It has the simplicity I want from all the others, was real easy to set up (got it up in well under 5 minutes).

But it also has some things missing that I would love to see.

The first thing is IPTC support. This is a real big thing for me since I add a title and caption to all my pictures before I upload them. So I upload by ftp and would like to see the title and caption displayed on the import page. Not filename and a blank field.....

The title and caption should of course be displayed when you watch the picture, not hidden with the EXIF info.

I would also like a simple user system so the users I have on my blog can upload pictures. I use WordPress and would love if Plogger could just connect to the same userbase. Why not just add a separate part of the options that say "Integrate with WordPress userbase"? Then you enter the SQL data for WordPress and no more to think about. The admin for WordPress would have same access as admin for Plogger. The other users for WordPress would be able to add pictures and albums and delete the ones they have added themselves. Not allowed to delete anyone elses pics.

Another big wish is private galleries. Just as WordPress has private posts etc. I would like private galleries in Plogger.

I am really looking forward to see how fast Plogger will evolve and hopefully bypass the other gallery scripts.

EDIT: Just found another thing I would like to add - I want to be able to place the whole picture directory og Plogger outside of the public html folder to prevent people from direct access to the pics. And I want to turn off the feature that you can get the full size pic by clicking on the large thumb.

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
    The forum here seem a little slow.. Not technically, but I am missing a bunch of power users that can comment on problems and wishes... Especially when people have done the search before they post.

Anyone?
    • CommentAuthorhcgtv
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2006

Hi,

Since Plogger is so new and still in it's Beta phase, we're all getting familiar with it at this point.

Power users are few and far between, developers are slowly getting more help with implementing features and the community is growing.

As with any Open Source project it comes down to getting involved yourself in the process to help it along. While you want Wordpress integration, I want Textpattern integration or I might decide to use PunBB as the user base.

We all have our wishes, but don't think that if you don't get an instant reply, they're not being heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthormike
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2006

Exactly.

There are way more question askers than people who can answer the questions at this point. We are trying our best, but you must understand that most of us do this on the side in our free time, which can be sparse for those of us working full-time tech jobs.

If you check my account profile, you will notice that the number of comments I have posted here to help others is approaching 400.

Others in the board are equally helpful, such as Derek and a few others. Like hcgtv said, things are picking up around here but we still need more help. Instead of requesting 10 features you would like to see for yourself, why not learn PHP and develop one feature to contribute to the product?
    I absolutely appreciate the work that is being done here. The only reason for posting a list of features that I am looking for in a gallery is to see if there is positive respons to it. If so, and there are signs of an active developer community, I am willing to stick with the system and do my share of helping etc.

But I will NEVER learn php in order to write any programs. I can learn enough to be able to do small changes under guidance. But it is the first time in my life that I have had anyone suggest that I should make things my self. If I ask a friend for some help with my car, he never suggest that I learn how to make a car instead :-)

I decided many years ago that I would never become a programmer. Have tried it and found it is not for me. Betatesting (and alphatesting), systemwork, usability testing on the other hand, are things I know a bit about. So I will definitely do my share.

What I have seen so far among the galleries is that most of them have one big thing in common. They all lack good communication out to their users. Not so much in supportquestions as in what we could call marketing and PR. Do an open source project need this? Definitely. As long as you have users, you need communication. So I am still looking.

I have three favourites among the galleries. Exhibit Engine is a favourite, but the version out now is lacking in features and simplicity, and the next version is delayed by over one year. And there is no sign it will be released soon.... I happened to stumble across Plogger not too long ago, and immediately liked it. Many things are still missing, but I am hopeful. Shortly after, I found ZenPhoto and it looks very much like Plogger. Time will show who the winner will be. I am looking forward to have a nice gallery running.
    •  
      CommentAuthormike
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2006

Understood. But on the same token, I doubt you would ask a random mechanic on the street to fix your car for free and expect them to get right on it. Nor would you ask an author to write a few extra chapters in his novel. That's the thing with Open Source, we love getting suggestions but seldom have time to follow up on every single request. In most cases we will accomodate requests if we feel they are important additions to the software, but for the most part, if you want something done in open source, it is best to do it yourself.
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2006

My suggestion is instead this: if you want to see a new feature or enhancement, please visit dev.plogger.org -- describe the problem (or feature), how you would like to see it implemented, and maybe a little about what benefits it brings to the project. The problem is that people are great at making feature suggestions in a forum post, but we get 10 of those daily. But hardly anyone creates tickets. The tickets are the only way we can keep track of development; I don't check here to see if Mike has updated internationalization support; I check Trac.

Assign them to me, and feel free to email me about them regularly, visit #plogger on Freenode, or join dev@plogger.org.

We have tried to give people the tools, like the theme engine and XML engine. One of the things that impresses me most is that so far, MIke has done all the graphics and css for Beta 2 and Beta 3 (apologies if Ryan or Anti did them and I don't know, but I'm certain it's Mike). Most programmers have less design in their body that blind people have in their toes (Ruby programmers even less so). But I can count everyone who has come forward to contribute graphics, design, testing and documentation on one hand. We very recently and fortunately got two new team members, but I know it took me a long time to get comfortable with the project, so they will likely need some time too.

So if you want a feature, be proactive. Play with Plogger, create some tickets, learn how to use svn (subversion), and keep up to date on development. I wouldn't go so far as to say you should develop mods or features yourself, but I certainly do not think you have exhausted your own capacity for trying to make the software better, programmer or not.

Cheers,
    DErek
    • CommentAuthorhcgtv
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2006

Oceanwatcher,

Exhibit Engine has a restrictive license and like you mentioned it hasn't had an update in a while.

Zenphoto has some nifty Web 2.0 features, I think it works great for small galleries but wouldn't scale well for larger galleries.

As for the winner, now that's a race that has new contenders lining up on a daily basis. Makes it hard to handicap when the participants are changing all the time.
    Mike - ddejong just pointed me to the right way of doing things. I guess I am just used to use the forum for feedback. I will use the tracker. Sorry for using bandwith here :-)

hcgtv - I am not sure how well ZenPhoto scales or why it would not scale. Care to comment on that? It is very interesting.

Plogger has, BY FAR, the best upload system of all galleries I have seen. Really looking forward to the future version of it.