Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I've got Plogger installed and running quite hapilly on my server, but the import feature appears to be inoperational. I've successfully uploaded a few images manually (individually), but my main draw is the mass-import feature.

I've uploaded a few directories of images via FTP to my webhost, and placed them in appropriate subdirectories under the upload directory within Plogger. Each directory has various quantities of images, varying from 1 to 20+.

When I select the "import" feature, Plogger correctly shows all of the directories as being there, but when I select any of them I get a server error:

"Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

I called my hosts tech support line, and even let them login and see the error themselves, but the guy had no idea what was causing the error, nor did he seem capable or interested in checking server error logs to find out exactly what the problem may be.

He asked that I forward the exact server requirements for Plogger to his attention and that he would send it off to level 2 to see if they can find a resolution.

However, despite a search, I couldn't find any details on the *exact* requirements that Plogger needs in regards to server setup.

He then advised that it could be that they "just don't support" the software... Grrr.

Any advice? I'd sure love to keep using Plogger (it's great!) but unless the mass upload feature works, the task of uploading thousands of images is just too tedious to do individually.

Thanks
    Mark
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2006

An ISE means that a fatal error occurred before headers were sent -- which is why it can't display the error.

Plogger's requirements are extremely minimal; MySQL and PHP 4.2, with Apache for cruft-free urls. GD should be in any standard PHP 4.2 compile. Safe_mode cannot be on. (Yes, we could program around it, but it's going to be removed in PHP6 anyway -- so there!)

That's really all I can think of. There are some permissions that need to be set, but other than that, the notion that a host can't "support" Plogger is ridiculous.

Another thread on Plogger requirements (search the forums for "requirements" for more):
    http://www.plogger.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=511

If you need help, let me know. Email me off-list if you'd like, I'd be happy to help.

Regards,
    Derek
    •  
      CommentAuthormike
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2006

This may be of some help
    http://plogger.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=511
    • CommentAuthoroshawapilot
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2006 edited

Hi Derek;

I've confirmed that safe mode is off, and I can't seem to find any other reason that it's not working.

I just tried a complete fresh install, and had the exact same results. I can setup just fine, and add images manually just fine, but as soon as I try to use the import feature (no matter what the directory/image structure is inside the /uploads directory) it immediately throws the server error.

My web host (as I mentioned) was rather useless, seemingly wanting to wash their hands of the situation rather then try to assist me in any way shape or form by looking at server error logs, etc. Like I said, they defaulted to the "I guess our hardware doesn't support it" excuse.

I'll drop you a line Derek and see if you have any ideas...unfortunately with a webhost that's rather useless (Worst decision ever hosting there...) I'm not sure what I'll be able to do to remedy the issue.

With hundreds/thousands of images I wanted to host on my site, an import feature is very important..

Mike: I did actually catch that thread, and tried it - no result, unfortunately.
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2006

Did you email me, oshawa? I didn't receive anything, and just want to make sure I didn't miss it or it wasn't delivered. I did switch servers the other day, and am worried that would cause an email-forwarding problem (though I'm still getting all of my plogger and automata email).

Cheers,
    Derek
    I have installed, then re-installed Plogger on several occasions and I still keep getting the error ("Internal Server Error - The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.") under each of the following scenarios:

1) when uploading more than a handful of images at the same time
    2) whenever I try to click on any "View as a slideshow" link for albums that contain more than a handful of images

I've tried the following to see if I can fix it and none can:
    a) changed the "this.prefetch = -1" variable (within slideshow.js) to become 0
    b) made Mike's suggested comments as discussed in Plogger's forum - "DiscussionID=511"
    c) changed server permissions levels (I know - I was clutching at straws by this time)

I've searched in the Forums for "Internal Server Error" and found a few people experiencing similar problems (see Plogger Discussion IDs 737, 511, 530, 22, 627), so it appears it might be something in Plogger conflicting with certain server set-ups (I did manage to get this to work on a previous host that I used, but not on the current host).

Any help gratefully received !
    I'm getting the same Internal Server Error while:

1. Importing many images at a time.
    a. If there are too many images in the specific import folder it errors at that point.
    b. When I reduce the number of files in the import folders, it errors when I add captions and import.

2. Viewing a slideshow. Album with 22 pictures each at 1600x1200 (not large compared to my D-SLR pictures that are > 3000x2000, which I assume will never import)

There's a lot of talk about the problem, but I don't see much in the way of a resolution. Is it simply a matter of the overhead required by GD to process all of the images? I would imagine that it takes a while to open and resize all of the large images.

I just didn't want to have to resize all of my images to 800x600 before uploading them. Perhaps time to look for another application?!?
    In trying to answer my own question my hosting company have given me the following response - I have tried changing these various settings, but still no luck.

HELP !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Our administrators have responded that the problem is in the php_maximum_execution time.

Here are the default settings:
    max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
    memory_limit = 8M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

You can override the server settings by increasing it's values (beware not to increase every value with more than 50% because your account will be blocked for server overload) using php.ini file (you can read more about this in the official php site - http://php.net/ ).