Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorthyde
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2006 edited

I have been desperate for a WP plugin to see Plogger better integrated into WordPress. I was using a script published in one of the forums here to integrate Plogger into my Wordpress installation, which worked OK.

But then I thought I'd have a go at my first WP plugin. The result is Plogger Press.

Features:
    Insert albums and images in posts.
    Display random images in your sidebar.
    Thankful People: tmhai
    •  
      CommentAuthormike
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2006

Nice! I have a few questions/suggestions for you:

Which versions of Wordpress is this compatible with?

Does the plugin allow you to embed the entire gallery into a Wordpress page in addition to albums and images?

I like the tags <PLOGALBUM>2</PLOGALBUM>, etc.. but I am thinking some people may find it difficult to find the id numbers of their albums/collections (especially if they have cruft-free URL's on). I know id's are the only unique attribute for an album/collection, but maybe using the album name would be more intuitive, like <PLOGALBUM>Nature</PLOGALBUM>.

Thanks for creating this! No doubt it will help many people.
    •  
      CommentAuthormike

Oh, that brings up another question. Does it work with cruft free URL's on?
    • CommentAuthorthyde

Plogger Press has so far been tested with Plogger 2.1 Beta and WordPress 2.0.2.

I hope to get album names into next version and would also like to try an embedded version (like Falbum does for flickr). This is pretty much possible with the album tag code.

More suggestions welcome!
    •  
      CommentAuthormike

Thyde, we have a semi-working Wordpress Plugin at http://dev.plogger.org/wiki/WordPressPlugin that allows you to embed the whole gallery into a Wordpress page. But like I said, it is only semi-working. The options page comes up blank, and you need to get to the options page to set the path to the gallery.

You can steal code from this plug-in if you'd like. WP Integration is a sorely needed feature for Plogger.
    • CommentAuthorthyde
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2006

Nice work! I had started to do some of this already. Anyway..

I have released a new version, some of the improvements are from Rocky's post. But you can also now configure the following from the options menu:

- the plogger url
    - table prefix used for plogger tables
    - sidebar function images

Download it at livingos.com
    • CommentAuthorjack
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2006

Nice plugin! And as always with a request:

1. I'd like to have three thumbs or six thumbs in my sidebar, but they have to be the latest images added to the gallery, not random. This way people visiting my weblog more frequently can easily see if I made some new photographs. Perhaps another option?
    2. I'm using the lightbox script to show the large images, so what I really want is the thumbs not to link to the large or intermediate images (which I disabled) but to link to the first page of that specific album. And because I have plogger setup to always show the most recent image first, the visitor can go on from there.

What do you think?
    • CommentAuthorthyde
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2006

Believe it or not I hadn't come across lightbox before. Wow!

Suggestions noted and will almost certainly be in my next release.
    • CommentAuthorpablo
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2006

Great integration! Thanks!

Maybe some of youhave an idea how to integrate plogger comments system with wordpress, so that a logged in user of my site could simply comment a picture without putting his data again.
    • CommentAuthorthyde
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2006

Well, my plugin just got even better! Version 0.3 now incorporates Jack's suggestions including support for lightboxJS plugin.

Available at livingos.com
    • CommentAuthorjack
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2006 edited

Thanks Thyde! Looks good... on your site :):) I get an (expected) error message when I use it on my site.

I'm a bit confused: Why the 'table prefix of your Plogger installation'? It will search for a table within the wordpress database, but that's not where plogger is installed. I installed plogger in a different database from wordpress, they are two completely seperate installations. Am I missing something? Because this really looks like what I need for my sidebar and the options inside wordpress are great.
    • CommentAuthorthyde
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2006

At present it relies on plogger being in the same MySQl db as WordPress. It was just easier at the time and removes the need for a whole lot more config. The code uses WP's db cass (it was easiest at the time!).

That's probbaly why you get an error.

However, a number of people seem to want to be able to run them apart, so I'll see what I can do for a future release.

On a lot of hosting accounts though you only get 1 db per domain or a premium is charged for more. So for me this works for now!
    • CommentAuthorjack
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2006

I could make a backup and import it into the same database as wordpress. Then it should work.

It's true that most of the time you get 1 database per domain, but since I can have a lot of databases I thought it would be 'cleaner' and easier to have each application have its own database :), especially when the need comes to import a backup.

I don't know how 'urgent' this matter is for other plogger/wordpress users, but do you think you will be adding this option somewhere in the future (reasonably) soon or much later? It's just so that I know what to do, moving database or just wait a while.
    • CommentAuthorlilliput
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2006

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Wordpress and have been searching for weeks for a gallery plugin for my site. I came across Plogger with Plogger Press and love the way it looks, as well as the "easy" integration into WordPress. I'm having a bit of trouble w/the ID tag, though. I can't figure out what the id's are for my galleries or images. I get this error message:

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '/pictures WHERE id=domino_a.jpg' at line 1]
    SELECT * from /pictures WHERE id=domino_a.jpg

I have been searching for an answer and have found that others have the same question on other forums (see below)

nemoga
    Jun 28th 2006
    Hi all,

I have been trying to integrate plogger into my wordpress blog and am having a little difficulty. I searched for advice and have been careful to install plogger as part of the same database as wordpress, at least I think I have. The plogger gallery works on its own but I have yet to integrate it in a wordpress post. When I use the <plogphoto>ID</plogphoto> tag to include a plogger image I get this warning

WordPress database error: [Unknown table 'umit1cweb' in where clause]
    SELECT * from plogger_pictures WHERE id=umit1cweb.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorlilliput
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2006

OK, I dug into MySQL and found where the image I want to display has the id #18. So I put <plogphoto>18</plogphoto>, but the tags keep disappearing when I save the post and then just the number 18 appears...

miscerika.erikakarl.com
    • CommentAuthorthyde
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2006

Sound to me liek you have the rich text editor turned on in wordpress. You have to disable this if you want to code your wordpress posts.
    • CommentAuthorlilliput
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2006

Thanks, that gave me a hint. I had to add this line into the index.php of my theme (since no 2 themes behave the same)...
    <?php wp_link_pages(); ?> ?

It works!

My next 2 questions...
    Why do vertical images show up full size (600px) and horizontal images show up the size my large thumbnails are set to (400px)?

Also, I have another WordPress site that has multiple users and administrators. I would like to use plogger there, too, but it seems too difficult to go into the database and find image and gallery IDs. How do I make it easier for them to post images and galleries via WordPress?

They are not web-savy. They're just writers and photographers that say "Huh?" when MySQL is mentioned. If they can't do it themselves, they will chain me to my laptop and constantly ask me to post things for them. I will never see the light of day again.

Thanks for your speedy response!
    • CommentAuthorlinds3485
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2006

I just installed and have begun to setup my plogger album within wordpress (using the plogger press).

I currently have the thumbs of an album displayed within a wordpress page. My question is - how do I get the most recent photo to display first? I set the plogger settings to display 'date submitted - descending' but the view in wordpress does not change.

Anyone know how to do this?
    • CommentAuthorjack

linds3485,(I hope that's not the number of registrations you have on the web...),

I'm using version 0.4 of PloggerPress myself and it has an option to change the option in the options panel ;) to set the images to 'most recent - random - specific album'.

Hope this is what you want.
    You can see my PloggerPress sidebar here: http://www.spoenk.nl/weblog/
    • CommentAuthorlinds3485

Jack -

I'm not using the sidebar function, but rather inserting an entire gallery into a page.

You can see here:
    http://www.lindsaydesigns.com/blog/?page_id=18

Right now the first image was the first image I uploaded - I want the first image to be the most recent photo.
    • CommentAuthorjack

Well, I'm not using PloggerPress for that, but I would asume that this function I was talking about also works for inserts. Have you tried that?
    Hi,

I came across plogger recently after having an absolute nightmare with gallery2 trying to embed it into my site (yeah and its horribly bloated).

So a simple gallery was the way to go and even better when I found thyde had made a plugin for wordpress that integrated lightbox. Awesome - thanks. But I need to ask a few thick questions first off.
    1. Thyde, I dont understand what you mean by table prefix in the options configeration. What is this refering to exactly?
    2. How do I embed plogger into Wordpress? Am I correct in thinking that you have integrated this plugin http://dev.plogger.org/wiki/WordPressPlugin into plogger press? So do I simply add the <!--plogger--> into a page? Linds - you appear to have done that sucessfully -any tips?

Thanks for any comments back.
    Ok - I read the instructions here
    http://www.phoenixrealm.com/2005/09/22/integrating-plogger/ and have integrated perfectly

However - the sidebar demand plogger_press_sidebar(6) needs some code to nest it, right? Otherwise the whole sidebar turns haywire.
    • CommentAuthorlinds3485
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2006

I scrapped the plugin - while it was very nice to be able to use with lightbox - I couldn't get them to sort the way I wanted them to. I ultimately ended up "framing" the plogger gallery with my wordpress template. I just cut and pasted the template from the header, index, and sidebar files into the gallery index file.

The final product can be viewed here: http://www.lindsaydesigns.com/gallery/
    •  
      CommentAuthormike
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2006

Looks nice. Cute dogs too =)
    • CommentAuthorasorethumb
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2006

Love the plugin!

Can you tell me how to get my sidebar thumbnails to have a break in between them, like on your site? Right now, they are all smooshed together.

I have a feeling its this bit of code, but am afraid of breaking it

//random (default)
    $photos = $wpdb->get_results("SELECT * from ".$plogger_prefix."pictures order by RAND() LIMIT $amount");
    }

thx.
    • CommentAuthorthyde
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2006

Hang on! If all you want is space between your images you just need to add some padding or margin to the img tag in your WP template's CSS file.

Feel free to hack my code but if it is formatting you are after just edit your CSS.

I haven't visited this forum for a while but its nice to see so many using my plugin.