Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTonyh
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2006

Hi i love your software and would really like to use for my wallpaper site, however, is it possable to have multiple sizes avalible to download for each image other than making seperate catorgarys for each?

ie:

400x400 (my small image to display)
    800x600 (wallpaper size 1)
    1024x768 (wallpaper size 2)
    1280x1028 (wallpaper size 3)

Thanks in advance for any help and fingers crossed i can use this software

Many regards

Tony
    • CommentAuthorTonyh
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2006

Can anyone give me a thumbs up or down with this issue please?

Many regards

Tony
    • CommentAuthorddejong

Is it possible? Absolutely. You will, however, create additional thumbnail levels ot support the various sizes.

Cheers,
    Derek
    • CommentAuthorTonyh
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2006 edited

Thanks Derek, im really excited about using plogger, i will install now and try :)

Regards

EDIT: ok i have it installed, how would i "create additional thumbnail levels to support the various sizes" ? i dont see any such admin option? im totally confused on what process i will take.

Thankyou for your time

Tony
    • CommentAuthorTonyh

Ahh i think i understand what your saying now, have 3 sub albums under each catorgary for each size?

Damn i think im going to have to pay someone to do some modifications as i really want to use plogger because of its simplicity. But need to have the 3 sizes avalible on the same page.

Thanks for your time Derek

Tony
    • CommentAuthorddejong

What I meant Tony is that you will need Plogger to make thumbnails of the correct dimensions. If your question was, "Will Plogger do this out of the box?" The answer is then no. However, is it possible. Normally, Plogger generates two thumbnails, one small, one large. But you could tell it to generate additional 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960 and 1600x1200 thumbnails, too, and link to them from the large page.

My suggestion? Just make your large thumbnail 1600x1200. As somebody who runs 1600x1200 (desktop), 2x1280x960 (workstation) and 1024x768 (laptop), I've never seen the point in low-resolution walls. Windows 98/ME/NT/2K/XP, Linux, and Mac OS can all scale wallpapers... so why offer different file sizes?

Seriously, it sounds cool that you can offer different sizes, but I'm not convinced you'll save all that much on bandwidth. I suggest just offering one size, it will make your life infinitely simpler.

Cheers,
    Derek
    • CommentAuthorTonyh

Ahh you right, i didnt even no that windows would resize the image, ill just go with the 1 size of 1280x1028 and people can download this one.

Thanks for your insight, i actually never knew this was a possabilty.

Regards

Tony
    • CommentAuthorarchon810
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2006

I'm sorry but I can't agree with ddejong's comment. There are 2 obvious reasons to resize:
    1. matching desktop and wallpaper size means no distortion, as windows would resize on the fly and will have more distortion.
    2. smaller size matters, sometimes a lot, a couple of megs sitting on the desktop is worse than a 500K resized wallpaper.
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2006

In that case, let your users resize them themselves. It's not hard -- every OS has built-in or freeware apps to resize images.

And you're not going to go from a "couple of megs" to "500K" resized from 1280x1028 even to 800x600, unless you're using linear compression like BMP or another bitmap format. Even then you're still not halving the filesize.

My point was simply that the cost in modifying Plogger outweighed the expected benefits, particularly when you consider that caching the various sizes substantially increases disk usage.

Cheers,
    Derek