Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgangavalli
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2005

Guys, is anybody working with Etomite: http://www.etomite.org/ ??

Its an open source CMS system with which we can create a complete website. I was impressed with it and thought some of you might be intrested in using it.

If anyone got to use it along with plogger, just share your experience.

Thanks,
    Vamsi.
    • CommentAuthorddejong
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2005

Would suggest anyone looking for an open source solution for content management look at Joomla.org. It is administered by the "Open Source Matters" group, formerly of Miro and Mambo fame. In my experience, it's the most well-supported, maintained, accessible (CSS & XHTML -- they will shortly abandon tables altogether -- this is why I chose Plogger in the first place, because the tables were easy to remove), and extensible (the 3PD community is enormous) CMS solutions I've tried, and I have used a number (including, but not limited to, phpWebSite, postNuke, phpNuke, e107, etc). I don't count MoveableType or Wordpress, because they aren't really fully-fledged CMS, IMO.

Plogger isn't yet painless to integrate, but when Beta 3 is released I might take a look at writing an installer for Joomla. Remember, no CMS is perfect (Joomla is awfully close), so you should always examine which solution is right for you / your website / your business / your cat / your RV.

Regards,
    Derek
    • CommentAuthorjack
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2005

This is not the place to start a discussion about this, but because Derek mentioned it, why am I / are we using wordpress for example and not a cms system? Perhaps just a quick reply on when to use one or the other?

I'm using wordpress now, but what would offer a cms more (or less)?
    • CommentAuthorddejong

We are / I am using a lot of different things; and it depends on the need and amount of integration.

First, why am I using Plogger? Because it's compact, extensible, powerful, and doesn't generate a lot of the garbage markup of other galleries and scripts I've used. Though there were a few layout tables in Plogger, I was able to remove them without any detriment to the presentation and am able to modify the code, which at present is light and well coded (huge cudos to Mike for this one). Anybody with experience with CMS knows they generate horrendous, extraneous markup and are often ridiculously hard to strip out the inline CSS and layout tables -- there's a good Section 508 patch for Joomla that goes a long way, but the first actual Accessible Joomla release will not be until Fall 06.

Wordpress is really a blogging platform. It's got features like comments, trackbacks, etc, but it's meant to be lightweight and usually personal. It really has a sole function, blogging, with a few secondary features.

A CMS is different; it allows for the generation of webpages (not posts, but categories, sections, pages, etc), hosting of forums, use of banner ads, news aggregators, image galleries, download areas, polls, articles, news, form handling, etc. So, it's much easier for a CMS to emulate a blog (like Wordpress) than vice-versa, though it is sometimes accomplished by stitching various components together (like a blog, image gallery script, and forums). A CMS provides the benefit of a single userbase and seamless component integration.

Using one versus the other depends largely on your needs -- which and how many features do you need? If you're going to handle user registrations and profile management, conference registrations, e-commerce, or forums, then you should think about a CMS. However, if your intent is really to publish your thoughts and vacation pictures in the hopes that someone else will read them, it's best to go with a blog.

Very quick summary, hope that helps.
    Derek
    • CommentAuthorjack

Thanks for the quick 'summary'. It's much clearer to me now. I was always afraid to try out a cms because they all looked so extremely complicated and overloaded with features. For me personally wordpress is more than enough. Together with plogger of course. But for a potential client a cms could be very handy. There is one that currently uses coldfusion (macromedia), but I don't really like it. I'll try out joomla. Perhaps this can replace coldfusion.

As to e-commerce, there was someone mentioning the possibility of adding some kind of paypal functionality into plogger. That would be nice.

I agree on the css. I also stripped all the table stuff out of the files (in my testsite) which was very easy. :)