Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorridgedale
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010

I am about to attempt to upgrade my Version 3.0 Beta installation which contains almost 4,000 images and have already backed up the entire contents of the gallery (Plogger) directory as well as the associated mySQL database. I have downloaded the plogger-1.0RC1.zip file and noticed that the top level structure of the Plogger directory appears to be completely different from my existing structure:

Plogger-1.0RC1:

gallery.php
    index.php
    LICENSE.txt
    plog-admin <-- folder
    plog-comment.php
    plog-config-sample.php
    plog-content <-- folder
    plog-download.php
    plog-globals.php
    plog-includes <-- folder
    plog-load-config.php
    plog-print.php
    plog-remote.php
    plog-rss.php
    plog-thumb.php
    plog-xml.php
    plogger.php
    readme.html
    readme.txt

My Existing Plogger Version 3.0 Beta:

_install.php
    _upgrade.php
    admin <-- folder
    captcha.ttf
    css <-- folder
    dynamics.js
    g_footer.php
    g_header.php
    g_nav_gallery.php
    g_updated.php
    gallery.php
    graphics <-- folder
    images <-- folder
    index.php
    lib <-- folder
    LICENSE.txt
    plog-captcha.php
    plog-comment.php
    plog-config.php
    plog-download.php
    plog-functions.php
    plog-globals.php
    plog-load_config.php
    plog-print.php
    plog-remote.php
    plog-rss.php
    plog-tag-functions.php
    plog-thumb.php
    plog-translations <-- folder
    plog-xml.php
    readme.txt
    slideshow.js
    themes <-- folder
    thumbs <-- folder
    uploads <-- folder

Am I supposed to just to copy all the new files (which don't include _upgrade.php, btw) to my existing gallery (Plogger) directory and overwrite any files if requested?

I have also integrated the gallery into an existing website so I presume I should not be overwriting my custom index.php file but just replace the following lines with their new replacements:

<?php include("gallery.php"); ?> replace with --> <?php require('plogger.php'); ?>

<?php the_gallery_head(); ?> replace with --> <?php the_plogger_head(); ?>

<?php the_gallery(); ?> replace with --> <?php the_plogger_gallery(); ?>

I really would like to avoid having to upload and name all the collections, albums and pictures again.
    Any pointers and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsidtheduck
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010

ridgedale,

Hopefullly I can answer some of your questions.

Posted By: ridgedaleAm I supposed to just to copy all the new files (which don't include _upgrade.php, btw) to my existing gallery (Plogger) directory and overwrite any files if requested?

Yes. Also, the new _upgrade.php is located in plog-admin/_upgrade.php

Posted By: ridgedaleI have also integrated the gallery into an existing website so I presume I should not be overwriting my custom index.php file but just replace the following lines with their new replacements:
    Yes, but you do not necessarily need to update your plogger calls in the index.php either. The new Plogger is backward compatible (with minimal bloating of the code), so those functions and includes will work as well as the updated ones. Also do not save over any customized theme files (you will be prompted about any found old themes during the upgrade process).

Posted By: ridgedaleI really would like to avoid having to upload and name all the collections, albums and pictures again.
    You will not have to do this. The new and improved upgrade script will upgrade your old Plogger to the new one (including moving your images over and attempting to delete any unused files from the old installation that are not needed anymore).

Some things to keep in mind during the upgrade:
    1. The admin section has changed from admin/ to plog-admin/ (this was so users could create a collection or album named "admin" if needed, same with "graphics", etc. from the old Plogger setup).
    2. The new upgrade and/or install process is located at plog-admin/_upgrade.php and plog-admin/_install.php respectively.
    3. The upgrade process will rename the URLs and paths of your collections, albums, and pictures to use dashes ( - ) instead of underscores ( _ ) for better search engine indexing (most search engines assume "-" is a space in an URL instead of "_"). However, this may result in some 404 errors from manually linked URLs or previously indexed pages if using Cruft_Free URLs. ryanduff from the dev team is looking into a rewrite rule to redirect old links.

Let us know if you run into any issues!
    • CommentAuthorridgedale
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010

Thanks for your feedback, sidtheduck.

I will aim to do the upgrade tonight and see how it goes. I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Thanks again.
    • CommentAuthorridgedale
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010

sidtheduck,

I know this has taken me a long time to get round to this. But I'm glad I have taken it slowly and not tried to migrate my existing athletics database. Just as an update I decided to do a fresh installation for another project using the latest release (Version: 1.0 RC1).

However, I appear to have run into a string of issues:

Firstly, there appeared to be a lot of problems getting Plogger to register the associated MySQL database during setup. It must have taken me more than 10 attempts to get to the Management Login.

Once I had got that finally sorted out I have since had problems trying to upload and display pictures.
    I use Firefox and FireFTP to load the images into the uploads folder on the server. That part there is no problem with.
    However, when I try to upload the images (.jpg files of between 1.4Mb and 2.0Mb (Camera Source: Sony CyberShot DCS S85)) via the Import tab I get the following error:

500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

It appears that some of the images upload (i.e. the first chunk of 15 - if I'm correct?!). I then go back and repeat the exercise until all the images have disappeared from the uploads directory.

However, when I go to manage the images I am getting the same error when clicking to view pages of the images. In some instances the pages returned are just blank.

Below is the server info:

Server Software: Apache/
    PHP Version: 5.2.12 (CGI)
    MySQL Version: 5.0.83-log
    GD Version: bundled (2.0.34 compatible) with JPEG support
    Session Save Path:
    File Upload Size Limit: 24MB
    Temporary Memory Limit: 64M
    Code Run Time Limit: 300s

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Scolabar